CRS’s span of expertise covering basic science to practical engineering allowed us to develop innovative antennas using “plasma” as the radiating element. Suitable columns of plasma are being used for both transmitting and receiving antennas covering frequencies up to S-band.
Use of suitable columns of plasma as the antenna offers several advantages in terms of:
- Reconfiguration. It allows broader frequency range of operation and performance using the same volume space.
- Improved performance. It works through larger bandwidth, tunability, and minimized cross-coupling
- Stealthiness. It can be turned on and off, and tuned, very fast.
We have demonstrated that the plasma column antenna can have similar characteristics to metallic antennas.
Numerical simulation of the plasma antenna has been performed using an FDTD code developed by CRS.
Stealthy and reconfigurable antennas using plasma column have been developed.
Numerical Simulation of Plasma
- A computer code has been implemented for the analysis of plasma antennas.
- The code is capable of obtaining a wide frequency response using the FFT.
The research is on-going.